It's NationaL Baking Week! From 14-20th October, the nation shall celebrate/Bake/Eat cake (even more)!
This week is great. I am not going to pretend it's 'just another week of...' national campaign. Baking is fab, and we should celebrate it!
1. Home baked cake tastes AMAZING.
2. Baking makes your house smell DIVINE.
3. It's a form of therapy (for me, at least!)
4. Baking is creative - sprinkle, shape, flavour away!
5. It can be experimental - why not try something new?
6. And above all, baking makes other people happy - when you share!
So what do I personally plan to do to celebrate this diary date?
1. I am going to give 2020's Bake Off the benefit of the doubt and try an episode or two. I don't like Matt Lucas in many things, but a friend assures me he's not in it that much really, so I may survive an episode! I watched last year, but I felt a bit 'over it' to be honest... life just feels weird without it!
2. I'm going to be baking for you guys, of course! This week I have already got some cupcakes, a birthday cake, and a carrot cake booked in, with more orders sure to follow. Most orders come in with around 3-5 days notice, but take note, I can often do next day, so don't despair if you've forgotten someone special!
3. I'm going to be practising my Halloween cake themes - stay tuned for the first photos from tomorrow!
4. Friday I'm off to a pumpkin patch with friends, so I may well be baking my first pumpkin pie. National Baking Week doesn't have to be just about cake! If you have any fail-safe recipes for this, do send them over...
Do you have any exciting baking plans for this week? Let me know in the comments below!
Our Halloween 'early bird' offer ends tomorrow, so get in quick while you can!
From cupcakes to large party cakes, and vegan and gluten free available, we have Halloween cakes for everyone and every budget. Drop us a line to order, and save 10% if you order before 7pm tomorrow (19th Oct) with code EARLYHALLOWEEN.
The Team @ 280 Bakes
Halloween's come and gone - is your pumpkin still hanging around? Here are our three favourite ways to use up your pumpkin to avoid food waste.
1. Pumpkin Spice Cake
2. Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
Friend of 280 Bakes, Louise G, sent us this recipe for Paleo Double Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins - sooo tasty! Remember, paleo (no flour or refined sugar) cakes don't rise as much, so full your muffin cases well.
1 cup creamy almond butter
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
(we used golden syrup - they're interchangeable here)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (plus extra for topping)
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a 12 cupcake tin with paper cases. Mix all the ingredients bar the chocolate chips) in a bowl - should be a fairly thick batter. Fold in the chocolate chips and divide the mixture into the 12 cups. Sprinkle with extra chocolate chips, if desired - we like this touch!
Bake for about 20 mins until the cakes are firm to the touch. Allow them to cool before serving.
3. Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies
No collection of sweet pumpkin recipes is complete without a recipe for brownies. Pumpkin is perfect for using in this kind of bake, and the brownies don't stick around long after they've baked - they're perfect snacks. This recipe uses less butter (replacing it with cream cheese) and recommends sprinkling them with walnuts, but we like them with almonds too.
Don't let that pumpkin go to waste - get baking!
The Team @ 280 Bakes
Halloween is one of our favourite times of year - there's so much creativity in cake baking on a spooky theme!
Take a look at what went down at 280 Bakes this year - all in good natured spooky fun!
Even the office pup got into the spirit of things!
Check out our recent blog post where our bakers shared their favourite scary movies of all time - have you seen them all yet?
Cakes and cupcakes, pumpkins and fancy dress - the team pulled out all the stops for our customers and party guests! Special thanks to Roberto for being such an awesome party co-host. <3
Roll on next year for more spooky fun!
Halloween is but five days away and we're getting ready for family fun - and it's not all about cake!
Fancy dress parties, Trick or Treating, pumpkin carving... We're doing the whole caboodle here at 280 Bakes! Let's check in with our bakers to find out what their favourite scary movies are - let us know yours too by commenting below.
Louise (280 Bakes owner) recently watched the new 'IT' movie and claims it's "the most terrifying thing" she's seen in a long time - well recommended if you like peering out from behind your sweaty hands! "I saw the original when I was too young," she says, "but I still summoned the courage to watch it again - 20 years later!"
Our Kayleigh still loves 'Hocus Pocus' - an oldie but a goodie!
Our most recent recruit, Lorna, says the 1984 classic 'Nightmare on Elm Street' isn't scary any more, but she just loves it. Another one from a childhood viewing - we were determined to have nightmares!
Baker Debbie steers clear of scary movies in general - and that seems pretty sensible to us, with two small children! - but they do confess to enjoying a night in with the "freaky yellow minions" from time to time! But, yes, Debbie, your love of 'Gremlins' counts, good one!
Have you seen these movies? What did you think?
If you need something to nibble on while you're having a scare-fest, cosy in your living room, why not order some Halloween themed cakes from us? They're available for 'standard', vegan and gluten free diets.
The Team @ 280 Bakes
Welcome to the For Goodness Cake blog! Most posts are by myself, Louise, but if you fancy guest blogging, give me a shout!